Tactical survival gear is essential for anyone who enjoys outdoor activities, and those who want to be prepared for emergency situations or natural disasters.
Survival tools and supplies are designed to ensure personal safety, increase self-reliance, and ultimately help individuals navigate through unpredictable circumstances. This Tactical Survival Gear Basic Essentials Part 1 article is designed to share with you the very basics of what your tactical survival kit should have and why. We will also discuss the essential supplies and purpose of survival gear, highlighting the importance of having the right equipment when it matters most.
Purpose of Tactical Survival Gear
Tactical survival gear serves several key functions.
Personal protection, this equipment helps safeguard individuals from various threats, such as wild animals, hostile predators (four legs or two), and environmental dangers.
Basic necessities, tactical survival gear provides access to essential resources like water, food, and shelter, enabling individuals to maintain their well-being during emergencies, or just away from our everyday creature comforts.
Navigation and communication are absolutely essential for survival.
These tools help individuals stay on track and maintain contact with others, which can be crucial for rescue efforts or coordinating with a team.
Getting lost can create panic, which is one of the worst things that can happen in already challenging circumstances.
Your tactical survival gear should also include first aid kits and other medical supplies (discussed below). By having the proper medical gear you can address injuries or illnesses when professional help is not immediately available.
Tactical survival gear is designed to be versatile and adaptable, enabling individuals to rise to the occasion in a wide range of scenarios and environments.
List of Survival Supplies To Keep You Safe and Alive
Are you ready for any situation? We know that the unexpected can strike at any time and when it does, being prepared and having the right equipment can mean the difference between life and death. Whether you are camping, hiking, or planning for the worst, it is essential to be prepared. We’ve compiled an essential list of survival gear and supplies you’ll need to stay alive in a survival situation. From knives and fire starters to first aid kits, you’ll have some basic items you need to stay safe. So, let’s take a look at the must have supplies for your survival. Let’s get started.
- A reliable, sharp, and durable knife is a must have for any survival gear set up. It can be used for cutting, carving, or even self-defense. Ideally, choose a fixed blade knife with a full tang (One solid metal piece for the blade and handle) for maximum durability and versatility.
- The ability to create fire is crucial for warmth, cooking, and signaling. A firestarter, such as a magnesium fire starter or waterproof matches, should always be included in your tactical survival gear.
- Water purification is an absolute must. You should carry a portable water filter, purification tablets, and a collapsible water container to ensure you can safely drink from various water sources. They say you can survive three days without water, but after about 24 hours your body is nonfunctional for all intents and purposes. Hydration packs are a great alternative but it is highly recommended to have some type of water purification regardless.
- Shelter from the elements is another must-have, in harsh conditions ‘toughing it out’ is not a good idea, believe me, I have tried and regretted it. A lightweight, waterproof tarp or emergency blanket can provide much-needed protection from the elements. These items can be used to create makeshift shelters or as a barrier between you and the ground.
- A first aid kit should contain bandages, antiseptic wipes, tweezers, medical tape, pain relievers, and any personal medications. Typically I try to go beyond the basics and carry an IFAKI. Customize your kit based on your specific needs and the environment you’ll be in. I typically use something like our IFAK V3 which has plenty of options for just about every environment.
- A high-quality multi-tool will provide you with various functions, such as pliers, wire cutters, screwdrivers, and can openers. This versatility can save space and weight in your tactical survival gear. I still carry one my dad gave me years ago.
- Always have a flashlight with a full charge and a spare set of batteries. A reliable light source is crucial for navigating in the dark, signaling for help, or performing tasks at night. Choose a flashlight or headlamp with multiple brightness settings and a long battery life.
- Paracord is strong, versatile, and can be used for constructing shelters, setting up traps, or as a makeshift tourniquet (If you don’t have medical training this is not a good idea unless absolutely essential. You should get training and carry a tourniquet from a reputable company). Aim for at least 50 feet of paracord in your gear.
- A whistle or signal mirror can be used to attract attention and communicate with others from a distance. These items are lightweight and easy to carry, making them a valuable addition to your tactical survival gear.
- A compass and topographic map are essential for navigation, especially in unfamiliar terrain. Even if you have GPS technology, it’s wise to have these traditional tools as a backup in case of electronic failure. Technology can always be counted on to let you down at critical times.
- A solid tactical backpack or rucksack to carry your survival gear is important and helps keeps keep you organized. At Tacticon Armament we offer a 1-3 day tactical backpack designed to hold everything you will need for up to a three-day trek into the wilderness.
Equipping yourself with tactical survival gear is an essential part of any preparedness plan. Regardless of who you are a hiker, an outdoor enthusiast, or someone who is just trying to be ready for any event – it is important to make sure you have the necessary supplies, knowledge, and training. Our Tactical Survival Gear: Basic Essentials Part 1 list is a great starting point, as it provides an overview of the items you may need. However, it is important to assess your personal needs as well, depending on the type of situation that may arise. By doing this, you can be confident that you have the necessary items to survive no matter what unpredictable event may come your way.
In addition to having the necessary survival gear, it is also important to have the knowledge and training needed to use those items. This may include learning how to start a fire, filter water, or build a shelter, among other things. You may also want to consider taking a class or seminar on survival skills to ensure that you are well-equipped to handle whatever comes your way. By taking the time to equip yourself with the items, knowledge, and training necessary to survive, you can rest assured that you are ready for any situation that may arise.
The opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Tacticon Armament.